Golfing in Atlanta is made easy because of the many public options available in all parts of the city that offer great value and quality. If you are thinking about getting out and playing golf, we did some research for you and developed this list of the top 5 best public golf courses in Atlanta. To be considered for the list, courses need to be at most 45 minutes from city center since that is our barometer on how far someone would drive on a normal day to play a round of golf.
1) Echelon Golf Club – Alpharetta, GA - 40 minutes from city center – The Rees Jones designed course, Echelon has been on an upwards trajectory for years now with their facility. Although semi-private, public play is welcome and can be a great experience for daily fee golfers. Featuring big elevation changes and terrific views of the surrounding 600 acre property, Echelon is one of the finest golfing experiences in the Atlanta area and an absolute must play. Learn more about Echelon.
2) The Chateau Elan Golf Club - Braselton, GA - 45 minutes from city center –A beautiful resort situated on a vineyard, Chateau Elan is a perfect place for a weekend getaway or just a round of golf situated on a tremendous piece of property. Featuring two 18 hole courses and 45 holes of total golf, you can easily get lost by playing all the holes in a weekend or short trip. Chateau Elan is my favorite course on this list of the best public golf courses in Atlanta because the staff at Chateau Elan is top notch and they really focus on providing a first class experience for golfers. If you are just heading out for the day, the 18 hole Chateau course is a favorite with many recent renovations to improve the already great experience. Learn more about Chateau Elan.
3) The Frog Golf Club – Villa Rica, GA - 40 minutes from city center – If The Frog didn’t already have enough accolades, they deserved to be on this list of best public golf courses in Atlanta without hesitation. Gathering many Top 10’s, best in state and a 4 ½ star from Golf Digest, The Frog is one of the most most popular courses in the area. Designed by Tom Fazio and an audubon cooperative sanctuary, The Frog will challenge you but provide a world class golf experience over the 7000+ yard course. Learn more about The Frog.
4) Stone Mountain Golf Club (Stonemount Course) - Stone Mountain, GA - 30 minutes from city center – Built by Robert Trent Jones Sr., Stone Mountain is a public golf course in Atlanta which offers onsite accommodations and recent renovations, making it a world class golfing experience for all. Stone Mountain offers great rates and tremendous value but make sure to budget the $20 dollar parking fee for Stone Mountain guests for your next round. Both courses are great, but if you have the option we like the Stonemount Course just a bit better. Learn more about Stone Mountain.
5) Bear's Best Golf Club – Suwanee, GA - 45 minutes from city center – One of the higher end and experience driven courses in the Atlanta area, Bear's Best offers a truly remarkable experience for the daily fee golfer. The reason why Bears Best is one of the best public golf courses in Atlanta is because it takes 18 holes from the best courses across the world like Sherwood CC and Muirfield Village. Bears Best offers a robust practice facility, great dining on site and a private club experience for a daily fee. Learn more about Bear's Best.
I hope this article helped you learn more about the Best Public Golf Courses in Atlanta. If you don't have time to play 18 holes, but just want to hit some balls, check out this list of the best driving ranges in Atlanta. Given Atlanta can get a little chily during the winter and sometimes there can be rain in the forecast, we created this article about the top 5 places to play indoor golf in Atlanta.