LA is a massive market for golf with so many options just outside the city. With great courses north and south of the city in Thousand Oaks, Orange County it cant be tough to choose which one to play! Below is a list of the best public golf courses in LA. To be considered for the list, courses need to be at most 45 minutes from city center since that is our barometer on how far someone would drive on a normal day to play a round of golf.
1) Los Verdes Golf Course – Rancho Palos Verdes, CA - 41 minutes from city center – Los Verdes boasts some of the best ocean views in the area. This open layout adds to the backdrop that makes this course enjoyable for all skill levels. There are some difficult holes that hug the cliffs above the ocean which can be a challenge but offer some stunning views. The greens fees are very reasonable at $38 on weekdays and $47 on weekends making this even more appealing. If you are looking to get some practice in, they have a newly renovated driving range and two large putting greens so you can work on all aspects of your game. Learn more about Los Verdes.
2) Tustin Ranch Golf Club - Tustin, CA - 40 minutes from city center – Viewed to some as the best public course in Orange County, Tustin Ranch is a gem. They are known for their picturesque views and tree lined fairways but this facility has more than just the golf course to offer. They have a top notch golf school as well as a first class restaurant and players lounge to relax after the round. With such high regard the greens fees run at $145 on weekdays and $195 on weekends, but it is worth the money. Learn more about Tustin Ranch.
3) Skylinks Golf Course – Long Beach, CA - 29 minutes from city center – Just a short drive south of LA, you will find Skylinks Golf course. This city owned facility offers a links style course with bent grass greens and wide open bermuda fairways, which make it appealing to all skill levels. If you are traveling, they are located right across the street from the Long Beach Airport so you can sneak a quick 9 in before a flight. Their green fees are very reasonable at $46.50 on the weekdays and $63 on the weekends. Learn more about Skylinks.
4) Wilson & Harding Golf Course – Los Angeles, CA - 11 minutes from city center – Located a stones throw from downtown, Wilson & Harding is one of the best public golf courses in Los Angeles and they offer two unique tracks. The Wilson Course plays host to many local City events with more of a championship style layout. Harding is a little shorter of a course but has many tough approach shots with guarded greens. Both courses share a clubhouse and offer a great spot to host a tournament or banquet. They are both priced similarly with Wilson being $35 on the weekdays and $45 on weekends while Harding is $32 and $42 respectively. Learn more about Wilson & Harding.
5) Lakewood Country Club – Lakewood, CA - 28 minutes from city center – Located south of the city towards Long Beach, Lakewood Golf Course has been one of the best public courses in Los Angeles since 1933. A course that can stretch out to 7,000+ yards can be a great challenge if you're looking for a longer course to play. The rates are extremely affordable as they charge $30 on the weekdays and $40 on weekends. There are great twilight options as well if you are looking to sneak in a quick round after work. Learn more about Lakewood Country Club.
I hope this helps you find a great public golf course to play in the LA area. Have some courses that you love that should be included on this list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.