Being an avid golfer living in the Detroit area, I’ve been able to play a lot of different golf courses. The unfortunate thing about being a golfer in Detroit is that many of the courses are private facilities and traffic getting to any course is no fun. The below list highlights some of the best public golf courses in Detroit (within 45 mins). I chose courses within 45 minutes because that is how far I am willing to drive on an average day to play a regular weekend round of golf.
1) Wesburn Golf Course – South Rockwood, MI – 29 Mins from City Center – Wesburn Golf Course has a distinguished history as one of the oldest courses in the region, records date back to 1910 when this beautiful facility first opened. Players enjoy a warm and inviting clubhouse that is filled with tradition. Combine this with the extensive improvements over the years and it is easy to understand why Wesburn continues to be one of the most popular courses in the area. The layout covers over 190 acres and plays 6,300 yards for a par 72. There are multiple sets of tees which help make every player feel both challenged and competitive. The course is a forgiving layout and features nature at its best, with mature woods filled with wildlife in a peaceful setting. At a very affordable rate of $30, you can enjoy this track. Learn more about Wesburn.
2) Links at Gateway – Romulus, MI – 28 mins from City Center – Links at Gateway is owned and operated by the Ross family. They have owned and operated courses all over Michigan including Fellows Creek, Hilltop, and Bedford Valley to name a few. Links of Gateway is a championship style layout that measures just over 6,842 yards with forgiving bent grass fairways and large greens. There are four sets of tees on each hole, so that players of all skill and experience levels can maximize both the challenge and the enjoyment of Links at Gateway. The Links at Gateway were crafted from one of the flattest expanses of land in the region and close to 1,000,000 cubic yards of dirt were moved to add definition, both off the tees and into the greens. Links at Gateway offers chipping and putting areas, and is the perfect place to improve your short game. Links at Gateway is also equipped with a driving range and PGA staff available for lessons. For $49 you can play this weekend. Learn more about Links at Gateway.
3) Rackham – Huntington Woods, MI – 21 Mins from City Center – Rackham Golf Course was designed by legendary golf course architect Donald Ross, whose designs include Pinehurst #2, Inverness Club, and Oakland Hills. Rackham provides a challenging golf course for golfers of any level. The course has been named one of Donald Ross’ ten best public golf courses which is fitting for the course to fall on our list of the best public golf courses in Detroit. It has been the home to 2 U.S Amateur Pub Links Championships and rated one of the Top 10 municipal golf courses in Michigan. The Par 71 layout features manicured fairways and undulating greens. The greens are protected by numerous bunkers which were renovated in 2007. Distance from the back tees is 6,555 yards. Middle tees are 6,253 yards. Forward tees are 5,413 yards. There is a chipping and putting green available for use before your round. With a cart the price of a round tops out at $49. Learn more about Rackham.
4) Rouge Park – Detroit, MI – 19 Mins from City Center
– Rouge Park Golf Course and driving range was opened in 1923 as part of the city of Detroit Park System. The course is a gem in the city of Detroit enjoyed by thousands of golfers year round. It has a long history of welcoming groups and events to the course. Rouge Park is the choice to play a round of golf in Redford, Dearborn Heights, Highland Park and Detroit. The 18-hole layout at “Rouge Park” features a par 72 golf course playing 6,325 yards from the longest tees. It was built on a sloping terrain and is well known in the area for its wide fairways. The river flowing through the golf course forms water hazards that come into play on 9 different holes. Hole #11 is considered one of the more difficult holes in Detroit. A round here will be at most $39. Learn more about Rouge Park.
5) Taylor Meadows – Taylor, MI – 21 Mins from City Center – When you come play the Taylor Meadows Golf Club, designed by well known golf course architect Arthur Hills, you will experience some of the best golf in Taylor. Whether you are looking to improve your game, or simply savor a day of Taylor golf, this course is ideal for you. Their idyllic settings will let you step away from life for a little while and focus on your golf passion. Their professionally designed course will challenge you to lower your score on our fairways, numerous water hazards and carefully placed sand traps. Following your round of golf, you will be eager to return and play more. They feature a quality Pro Shop with an assortment of the latest golf gear. And if you are hungry before or after your round of golf, be sure to stop in for a delicious bite at their restaurant, the Greenside Grille. Taylor Meadows Golf Club has an eager staff that is committed to providing you with customer service that will make your golf visit unforgettable. To enjoy a round will cost you no more than $39. Learn more about Taylor Meadows.
6) Fox Creek – Livonia, MI – 30 Mins from City Center – Fox Creek is the newest of the Livonia golf courses having opened in 1988. The course offers two distinct nines, challenging the game of all golfers. The front nine is over 300 yards longer than its counterpart but is much more forgiving of errant shots. The back nine rewards accuracy over distance. Water hazards come into play on thirteen of eighteen holes, so be sure to bring a good supply of golf balls. Fox Creek is a “must visit” for the outdoor enthusiast, with a year-round abundance of wildlife. It’s not uncommon to even witness a fox casually wandering about (monitoring the pace of play!). $48 for this one of a kind experience. Learn more about Fox Creek.
Hope you enjyoed learning about the best public golf courses in Detroit. Given Detroit gets cold during the winter, you might want to check out this article on the best indoor golf in Detroit.