New York has some of the best golf courses in the country, but many golf courses are very private and tough to play. There are still plenty of good options that you can play and are in some desirable parts of the state making them some of the top golf destinations in New York. We have put together a list of some of the best options for a golf getaway.
The article is brought to you by our Partner, Traverse Insurance. If you are a resident of New York, be sure to check out Traverse Insurance, who which can insure your golf clubs for as little as $2 a month. Give yourself the piece peace of mind knowing your clubs will be safe in your car, while traveling, or playing the game.
1) Turning Stone Resort – Verona, NY - Maybe the most well known golf resort in the state, Turning Stone offers 3 championship golf courses, a nine hole course, and a short course to go along with a casino. Nothing like pairing golf and a casino which is why this is one of the top golf destinations in New York. This resort also offers all the amenities of a luxury vacation with a full spa, and plenty of dining and nightlife options. If you live in the area, check out the New York City Tour which runs amateur golf tournaments on weekends and will be hosting at Shenendoah this summer.
2) The Sagamore Resort – Bolton Landing, NY – Escape the city to beautiful Lake George and play one of Donald Ross' classics, Sagamore Golf Course. Ranked in the "Top 100 resort Golf Courses in America" by Golfweek, this 18 holes course has views of Lake George as it winds through the woods. After your round, take a shuttle back to the resort right on the lake to enjoy the many amenities and family activities. It is the perfect getaway with one heck of golf course to boot.
3) Bethpage State Park Golf Course – Farmingdale, NY – The name speaks for itself here, but it is still one of the top golf destinations in New York. Home of 5 golf courses with of course the Black Course being the most well known as they have hosted many PGA Tour events including most recently the 2019 PGA Championship. Often known as one of the hardest golf courses in the country, the Black Course is one of the most popular public golf courses as well.
4) Saratoga National Golf Club – Saratoga Springs, NY – More commonly known for the horse racing track, Saratoga boats a top notch golf course to compliment the downtown area making this a top golf destination in New York. This championship golf course and luxurious clubhouse provide the opportunity to play a round and have one of the best dining options around waiting for you after the 18th hole. Take a weekend trip to bet the horses, play some golf and explore the downtown of Saratoga Springs and it will surely be worth the trip.
5) Crystal Springs Resort – Hamburg, NJ – Just over the border in NJ, Crystal Springs Resort is the most convenient stop for those living in the city. With 6 golf courses, most notably Ballyowen this is one of the top golf destinations in New York. Crystal Springs also has Leadbetter Golf Academy if you are looking to just sharpen your skills or an indoor simulator for the winter months. The lodging and spa aspects are as good as they come with other to-do's local to the are making it a one stop shop for the ultimate vacation.