If you are an avid golfer in the Charlotte area, the below list highlights some of the best public golf courses in Charlotte. I chose courses within 45 minutes because that is how far I am willing to drive on an average day to play a regular weekend round of golf. No matter where you live in the Charlotte area, there is a great public golf course nearby for you.
1) Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club – Denver, NC – 37 Mins from City Center – Verdict Ridge is characterized by generous fairways, distinct changes in elevation, meandering creeks, low-lying wetlands and an abundance of wildlife. The practice facilities here are also top notch. Enjoy your experience on the course? This is a semi-private facility and they are currently accepting memberships. Rates here vary, but $74 is what you'll pay during weekends and peak hours. Learn more about Verdict Ridge.
2) Rocky River Golf Club – Concord, NC – 23 Mins from City Center – Rocky River is a Charlotte public golf course designed by Dan Maples, nationally known for creating some of Carolina's top courses. The routing flows through the existing contours of the land, and is bordered by the Rocky River and surrounding wetlands. An existing boulder that was too large to move during construction provides a memorable tee shot on hole #3. This is a municipal course that is owned by the city of Concord, helping make the greens fees easier to stomach. Peak hours with cart is $69 and twilight during the week is $36. Learn more about Rocky River.
3) Mooresville Golf Club – Mooresville, NC - 31 Mins from City Center - Mooresville just recently went through many upgrades including a beautiful new 18,000 square foot clubhouse and a redesigned 18-hole golf course. If you live north of the city, this a a great public golf course as it's right off I-77 and is easily accessible. The rates at this course are incredibly reasonable given the high quality of the course. $55 is the maximum you'll pay for a round with cart. Learn more about Mooresville.
4) Eagle Chase Golf Club – Marshville, NC – 45 Mins from City Center – Eagle Chase is one of the most unique public golf courses in Charlotte. The course layout features drastic elevation changes, giving players a mountain golfing experience just 45 minutes from Uptown Charlotte. This public course is great for all skill levels, providing a longer and relatively difficult experience from the tips but a short and relaxed round with few forced carries from the front tees. The peak rate is only $51 and the twilight rate is $42. Learn more about Eagle Chase.
5) The Golf Club at Ballantyne – Charlotte, NC – 23 Mins from City Center – Want a day or weekend of luxury close to home? Head down to Ballantyne and enjoy top class dining, lodging and an impressive par-71 golf course. The course is always in perfect shape and is a resort golf experience you can't miss in the Charlotte area. Rates here vary and they also offer stay and play packages. Learn more about Ballantyne.
I hope this helps you find a great public golf course to play in the Charlotte area. Have some courses that you love that should be included on this list? Email email@example.com with your suggestions.