Golfing in Houston is made easy with the abundance of great options for both private experiences and public courses. Having spent a lot of time visiting a lot of courses in the greater Houston area and seeing players on the City Tour enjoy many of them, here are some of the best public golf courses in Houston you can get out and play. To be considered for the list, courses need to be at most 30 minutes from city center since that is our barometer on how far someone would drive on a normal day to play a round of golf.
1) Golf Club of Houston – Humble, TX - 20 minutes from city center – Having a PGA Tour event at your facility and being a public course is a good way to get on to any best of courses lists. The great thing about GC of Houston is how you can recognize the final few holes having so many dramatic moments the week before The Masters for so many years. Whether it was Ian Poulter winning to get into The Masters, Phil Mickelson playing the week prior or seeing the intimidating 18th hole tee shot over water, Golf Club of Houston offers a premiere experience and a top caliber experience. Learn more about Golf Club of Houston.
2) Memorial Park Golf Course - Houston, TX - 10 minutes from city center –Memorial Park has long been considered one of the finest Municipal golf courses in the country. Holding a high pedigree from hosting the Shell Houston Open, this course is an amazing facility and value. Golfers like Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus have played at Memorial Park which gives the course a great sense of history and prominence. At Memorial Park, you can find rates for under $40 dollars for a world class experience, unheard of for the quality of the course. Be sure to check out the Houston Open returning to Memorial Park in future years! Learn more about Memorial Park.
3) Cypresswood Golf Club – Spring, TX - 30 minutes from city center – Billed as one of the best public golf courses in houston, Cypresswood does not disappoint. With two courses on property, we like the Traditions course which offers stunning views, a lot of unique holes and the opportunity to play on pristine conditions like exclusive private courses. Cypresswood has hosted many large amateur and professional golf events and works closely with the Southern Texas PGA. They offer extremely budget friendly rates for the quality of course you get which makes it a must play for public golf. Learn more about Cypresswood.
4) Wildcat Golf Club – Houston, TX - 25 minutes from city center – Featuring two courses on property, the lakes and highlands courses, Wildcat serves as the go-to destination for golf for Houston sports fans. Offering stunning views of NRG Stadium and the Houston skyline, Wildcat’s property showcases the best of Houston and the best views of different landmarks. Wildcat is tremendous because it offers the lakes course with its elevation changes and water features and the highlands which gives a links experience on the same property. Learn more about Wildcat Golf Club.
5) Gus Wortham Golf Course – Houston, TX - 13 minutes from city center – Built in 1908 and formerly known as The Houston Country Club, this historic course has gone through many improvements over the past few years and continues to raise funds for restoring the clubhouse and other facilities. The layout of the facility is unmatched and offers a lot of unique sight-lines and views for a public golf course in Houston. Offering rates that would make any golfer able to play, Gus Wortham is a must play. Learn more about Gus Wortham.
I hope this helps you find a great public golf course to play in the Houston area. Have some courses that you love that should be included on this list? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.